Friday, May 25, 2018

Flax Hair Gel Recipe

Flax gel is the mucilaginous or starchy part of the cooked seed. I have been using this on my hair for years now, and have been very happy with the results.

For a leave-in conditioner, it seems to work best when warm (right after you make it) but can be used every time you shower, even when cold. I use it daily to style my hair, and it works better than the commercial hair gels I’ve used before. It also re-activates if I dampen my hair with a washcloth or damp fingers - which is great at events!

Directions:
cooking flax seed

2 cups water (4 parts)
1/2 cup flax seed (1 part)

Place in pot in stove over medium-low heat, stirring often. When the white foam starts to appear, turn the heat off. Place a strainer over a bowl that will hold 16 oz or so. Pour the contents into the strainer and let it strain, then stir the remaining seed and scrape the bottom of the strainer to get the last bit of gel. Clean up promptly (the gel will need to be soaked off if it dries, but if you do it right away it comes right off). Keep the gel in closed container - I use a jelly jar. I get 8 to 12 oz of clear gel per recipe.

Also, if you cook it too long, the gel will get too thick to separate from the seeds. It took a few batches for me to get this down but it only takes about 15 minutes to make. The consistency will be about like melted cheese, or egg whites - the picture shows what I mean.

 If it is too thick when it has cooled, add water by the spoonful and stir or shake to incorporate it.

I tend to keep mine in the fridge. I've had it last a month in the fridge and up to 3 weeks on the counter. It will start to smell 'off' when it gets old enough, and at that point I throw out what is left.

When camping for the weekend, I bring a 4oz canning jar filled with gel and it is enough for the weekend. I keep it in the cooler. So far, this has worked well, including at Pennsic for just over week.

-Þóra

No comments:

Post a Comment