Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Notes: Lightweight Brigandine

I've been wearing my brigandine for just over a year now. I've had to take out rivets, remove a couple plates, add other plates, reattach straps, and wash it.

I have learned that:
  • The brigandine is light enough that a blow can brush it nicely out of the way. I learned very quickly to put it on underneath my C-belt, so that it was prevented from moving like that. Doing so also meant I was able to remove the bottom pair of chest plates on the front, as they were now under the belt and it made armouring up more difficult - definitely not something I wanted.
  • The spine plates flip up seemingly every time I put it on. This is annoying and needs to be designed out of the next one. On this one, I should be able to drill holes in the lower corners and sew (not rivet) them to the fabric, with the stitches going out to the side so they can still crush down. 
  • Taking out rivets is a lovely way to rip holes in the linen. I'm sure drilling them out contributes, but that's how I was able to get them out. 
  • The straps need to be level and on top of the chest plates; this helps prevent them from warping the rivets.
  • If using dyed leather for the straps, be aware it will bleed when water is applied (from sweating in it, or from attempting to wash out said sweat).
  • Since this one doesn't wash well (see above) I have been generous with fresh air, Febreeze, and sunlight. It seems to be working, as it doesn't smell.
  • On the next one I need to make sure I shape the chest plates. I didn't do it on this one, and I do think it would look better if I had.
I do plan on making another one and applying what I have learned here. Overall, I am quite happy with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment