Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Lightweight Brigadine

I needed to replace the brigadine I was using, as it is loaner gear for my barony. I was pretty happy with how it worked for me, so I decided to copy it and add the adjustments I wanted to make.

I wanted to be able to buckle myself - nearly impossible when it buckles in the back, which the original one did. I also wanted it to be lighter and more fitted to me.

I stretch out in my armour. That's how I check f I can do that, and not sacrifice protection, I should be OK on the field. Plus I can warm up easily, in full kit,  if I need to. The original brig allowed for this, and that was one of the things I liked. It also adjusted as I slimmed down from the fighting and my fitness increased.




For the fabric pattern, I used the Period Patterns #101.I believe they called it a 'surcoat with optional pockets for plates, optional sleeves.'

Plates: You will need:
  • Spine: 8 plates (maybe more),  3" square
  • Chest: center top: 4 plates,  6" tall & 3" wide
  • Flanks: (your sides): 6 plates,  3" wide &  8" tall.
  • Belly: 8 plates, 3.5" tall &  8" wide.  Four of them should be cut curved at the edges. Two curved for the top, two curved for the bottom (see below). The circles indicate rivet locations: 


You will want to curve the flanks and chest/belly plates slightly,  to conform to your body. 

Cut out the plates. Round the edges to make them less likely to cut you or your fabrics.  You can use sandpaper, a power tool of some kind, or even a utility knife. Just be careful, with any of them. Then wipe them off to remove any dust.

Then drill holes for the rivets:
  • Spine: one hole at each top corner 
  • Chest: on the outside long edge, drill one hole in the top corner and another 2" below it. For the two center pieces, drill one more in the top corner. 
  • Belly: Drill 4 holes, equally spaced, along the top edge. 
  • Flanks: Drill 3 holes along the long edge, towards the back (the side away from the chest plates). Drill a second matching row about 1" in.
At this point,  I covered mine in white duct tape for two reasons.  One, it also helps reduce the chance of them cutting the fabric. Two, camouflage - black plastic shows up quite well through white linen, and I didn't want it to!

Riveting:
This is how I put the rivets together:
  • Push the post side through the plate, then add a washer.
  • Then push the post through the linen, *between the fibers.* That's not as hard as it sounds and is better for durability. 
  • Add another washer.
  • Put the rivet cap or washer on and set it.
The plates should overlap about an inch:
   -Chest plates (top front row) overlap so that they crush forwards, as if you were crossing your arms.
   -Belly plates crush downwards, so you can bend over easily. Spine plates do the same.
   -Flank plates crush towards the chest/belly.

Notes:
   -You should have spine plates from the top down to your pants waist.
   -Chest/ belly plates should also go down to your pants waist. They start lower to allow room for neck movement. That space should be covered by your gorget.
   -There shouldn't be much (if any) room between flank and spine pieces when you're wearing it.  There is room between mine, but not after I strap it on & add my tabard & belt.
   -The chest/belly pieces should meet when the brig is buckled on. On the brig that I patterned from,  they are solid pieces & the brig buckled in the back. I cut them in half in order to allow for buckling the brig in the front.
   -Don't forget to shape the chest and belly pieces to fit you somewhat. It can make a big difference.

Straps: I used leather, and they seem to work best when the rivets are 3/4" (on center) below the plate rivets, two per strap on each side. The one place I didn't do that, I could see a difference in just a couple of weeks.

Sweat will cause the leather dye to transfer also, so I'd suggest light leather & maybe a pale brown or cream type color of fabric. IOW try to match them a bit so the transfer isn't too obvious!

2 comments:

  1. I've been wearing this brig for several months and am looking at creating the replacement soon. More posts will be coming soon, with planned improvements and how they work out over time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Notes on how this is working can be found here: https://swordneedles.blogspot.com/2017/01/notes-lightweight-brigandine.html

    ReplyDelete